Named unittests

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun May 19 17:31:39 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 16:17:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Wouldn't the dependencies be built separately (i.e. with a
>> different compiler invocation)?
>
> That's right. Also, running the unittests shouldn't be a time
> consuming operation, so there shouldn't be an issue even if the
> dependency unittests were run.

These aren't necessarily true in practice. Many D builds include
third party code in the main invocation (dub calls this a
"sourceLibrary" target type) and sometimes unittests are awfully
slow.

But that said, I think we can run with it as a pilot program and
see how it works, then review if the real world data confirms or
debunks our ideas. Might have to reshuffle some unit tests with
templates but that might be a good idea anyway to get more
guarantees out of our code.