[spec] Phases of translation

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon May 20 20:22:24 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 16:52:10 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 16:41:22 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
>> Only use the code to work out what the current behaviour: The
>> specification needs to be totally indpendant of the current
>> implementations ('s ideology).
>
> Yes I understand that, but there may some some aspects implicit
> in the implementation that should be made more explicit in the
> specification. Maybe I need to come back to this topic after I
> have done the other sections as I don't know what I don't know.
>
> Regards

You're right, that is definitely an issue with the current
specification. One of the really annoying issues is that dmd is
understandable locally (e.g. I was able to add a little feature
without looking much up) but the global structure of the code is
quite disjoint e.g. lots of the analysis code is lumped together
and fairly difficult to grok without watching a debugger go
through it (Unless you already know)