Named unittests

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue May 21 16:18:37 UTC 2019

On 5/21/19 5:20 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 May 2019 at 14:56:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 5/18/19 2:20 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>>
>>> We all want `-unittest=package,list` to control which tests are run.
>>
>> Doesn't that seem a bit much? It seems to me you either want to run
>> unittests or not, why run just a few? Going with the typechecking
>> metaphor - do we want to check some modules but not others?
>
> I frequently only run a few unit tests - usually the ones that are
> currently failing. To me at least it's a question of screen real estate
> and attention.

It can also be an issue of quick debug-edit cycles. Mysql-native's tests
can easily take a couple minutes or so to run. If I'm debugging a
specific failure, I absolutely don't want to waste all that time waiting
on all those irrelevant tests, every single time, before the testrunner
finally gets around to the test I care about. (Which is why
mysql-native's tests now use unit-threaded).