Interesting article and discussion about Python's standard library

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue May 21 16:29:55 UTC 2019

On 5/21/19 11:15 AM, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 5/21/19 2:14 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
>> For example, the libstd doesn't even have support for random number
>> generation. There's a rand crate, which is now on 6th major breaking
>> version. That's perfectly fine, because multiple versions can coexist
>> in one program, and every user can upgrade (or not) at their own pace.
>> And the crate was able to refine its interface six times, instead of
>> being stuck with the first try forever.
>
> Multiple coexisting versions is an interesting way of solving dependency
> hell.

In terms of multiple simultaneously *installed* versions, I consider it
an absolutely essential feature of any *good* package manager (This is a
big part of why I hate most system-level Linux package managers,
including the one on my own machine). But the idea of multiple versions
*within one program* is indeed interesting.

Doesn't strike me as something you'd want to frequently take advantage
of, but having it there as a viable workaround for when problems do
arise could certainly be quite nice.