[spec] What's in a name?

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:15:42 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 21 May 2019 at 15:35:18 UTC, Les De Ridder wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

I guess I don't know how better to put it: I wanted to know what
are the things that can be named in a D program.

> If you're trying to replicate the section from Dennis Ritchie's
> manual, you might want to look at 'VarDeclarations' in the
> grammar[1],
> but I'm not sure such a section would be particularly useful.
>
> [1] https://dlang.org/spec/grammar.html#VarDeclarations

Firstly it is not about replicating something from the C manual.
A fundamental aspect of any programming language is what things
you can give a name to, and then the scope, and lifetime of named
objects.

A module has a name, so looking at var declarations alone in not
sufficient.

But I get it: there is no such list.