Interesting article and discussion about Python's standard library

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Tue May 21 18:06:44 UTC 2019

Am Tue, 21 May 2019 09:39:29 -0700 schrieb H. S. Teoh:

> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 12:29:55PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
>> In terms of multiple simultaneously *installed* versions, I consider it
>> an absolutely essential feature of any *good* package manager (This is
>> a big part of why I hate most system-level Linux package managers,
>> including the one on my own machine). But the idea of multiple versions
>> *within one program* is indeed interesting.
>>
>> Doesn't strike me as something you'd want to frequently take advantage
>> of, but having it there as a viable workaround for when problems do
>> arise could certainly be quite nice.
>
> This is a very interesting idea indeed.  Goes along well with Andrei's
> recent idea of addition vs. replacement.
>
> And I think it's probably not hard to adopt in D (should we deem it a
> good idea -- that's still arguable):

Having multiple versions of libraries only works well though if there are
no dependency cycles between third party modules. Random has a very
'closed' API, so for that it works well.

As another extreme example, consider we have six different versions for
std.range. Then we have std.file which provides a v1 range, std.format
which only formats v3 ranges, vibe.d which still uses v2 and your
applications which want's to combine all these and pass ranges from
std.file to vibe.d and std.format.

--
Johannes