Success! Find is slow no more

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed May 22 23:24:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:13:36PM +0000, Michael Brown via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I saw the blog post regarding the improvements to find three years
> ago.  Attempted to improve upon it and failed miserably.
>
> After watching Andrei's recent talk on fastware (when is the book
> coming out??) I thought id have another go at it. Success! I'm getting
> a 5-10% improvement over the Phobos find() on all tests - and it beats
> all over tested alternatives too.
>
> Compiled with DMD on windows.
[...]

Can you also try to run your tests using ldc/gdc?

Optimizing for dmd is not interesting IMO, because of DMD's
suboptimal(!) optimizer.  I personally would rather not uglify code just
to improve DMD benchmarks.

But if your code shows improvement with ldc/gdc, *then* we have
something interesting to talk about.

It always amuses me that Windows has a Safe Mode during bootup. Does that mean that Windows is normally unsafe?