[Update] Re: [OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat May 25 07:16:59 UTC 2019

Thanks for the input, all.

If you don't already know me by know, I'll warn you: There's a lot of
ranty-ness the further this gets. But I *do* have a (tentative) plan...

So, for anyone curious, and for documentation purposes, my additional
research tells me a few things:

- Apparently, Linux (libptp) and iOS both support PTP (ie, treating a
USB device as a digital camera and transferring photos). Don't know what
the UX is like on Linux, yet.

- PTP doesn't support videos (only photos), but the MS-created extension
"MTP" does. It's apparently on Linux (libmtp), but I'm still unclear
whether iOS supports it, or if not, whether there's another good way to
transfer videos between iOS and Linux. (Again, I'm not much of an iOS
guy myself...Hell, I don't even like Android, but that's what my phone is.)

- That alone (photo and video transfer) accounts for the main iPhone
connectivity I was concerned with[...trying to get her to actually use
since she's constantly low in iPhone storage space and doesn't know how
to sync]. There *is* some iOS connectivity (unfortunately forgot what)
that is still yet-to-be-working on Linux. But it seems that general,
overall phone-wide iPhone backups are possible on Linux, which is an
extra bonus on top of the photos/videos I'm mainly concerned with.

- Apparently it's possible these days to use ribbon-based versions of MS
  Office (which she likes) through Wine. Although, TBH, she doesn't seem
to use Word (or other Office tools) all that much anymore these days,
AFAICT.

- I guess, as a last resort anyway, she can still just use her old
laptop and a USB HDD for anything her new laptop has any issues with.
(Although her old one doesn't do USB3, but still...feasible.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Based on all of your helpful feedback, I've given a few of the latest
versions of Ubuntu and Lubuntu a spin in the ol' Virtual Machine.
(Aside: I was surprised - it seems I never touched VMs since I switched
from Debian Testing to Manjaro back I-don't-know-when-ago, so I had to
reinstall one. *Almost* had to give up on VMWare in favor of Oracle
VirtualBox due to apparent Manjaro-host issues, but finally managed to
get it working).

My (L)Ubuntu-client results:

- *Number 1*:
Lubuntu's homepage is <lubuntu.me>...It is *NOT* the outdated and
rubbish <lubuntu.net> which search engine results would have you believe.

- These days, LXDE now has an offshoot I never knew existed, called LXQt
(ie, Like the name suggests, it's LXDE, but based on Qt instead of
&@#!%* GTK).

- Newest Lubuntu LTS (18.04) still just uses LXDE, but newest Lubuntu
non-LTS (18.10) is updated to use LXQt.

- Stock Ubuntu is just as OSX-envious as I remember from the pre-Unity
GNOME 2 days, and MUCH slower.

- It turns out, based on actual hands-on experience, LXDE (Lub. 18.04)
is still just as crap as ever (though vastly faster than stock Ubuntu),
but LXQt (Lub. 18.10) is actually really, really, *REALLY* freaking
*GOOD*. In fact, *so* freaking good, I'm REALLY tempted to ditch KDE in
favor of LXQt myself!!!  (Biggest holdback is the fact that
<https://github.com/papylhomme/diskmonitor> doesn't have a widget or
systray tool for LXQt. God I wish [*proactive*!!] S.M.A.R.T. tools like
that were more standard!!! It's an absolute SIN against computing that
they aren't </rant>)

- As a side note, I'm still absolutely amazed, by how ALL the Win9x+
imitating desktops STILL, even *OVER* twenty years later in 2019,
*still* completely and utterly fail to even *remotely* match (let alone
surpass) the seamless UX simplicity of...adjusting the freaking
taskbar...basic no-mess drag-to-resize it...basic intuitive reorienting
of its mounted side (while having side-mounted panels actually
*WORK*)...that Windows was *perfectly* capable of **24 YEARS** ago!!!
Pathetic, linux. Absolutely pathetic!! (*This* is why I'm still very
tempted to make my own DE, even though I don't know the first thing
about hooking a home-spun DE into a linux desktop.)

- Trying to convert stock Ubuntu LTS to LXDE (let alone LXQt)
is...well...absolutely INSANE. I can't even find a freaking way of
*querying* whether I'm using LXDE vs LXQt (other than the
overly-objective question of "Does the UI seem crap or good?"), let
alone which version of which I'm running (and no, the package managers
don't help because even on Lubuntu they report I have *NEITHER* LXDE
*NOR* LXQt even installed!!!), let alone trying to get Ubuntu LTS to use
something Lubuntu added in a non-LTS...just...forget it, screw the whole
"replace stock Ubuntu's godawful, Apple-envious, slow-as-f*** DE" notion
entirely...

"Summary" (That's "TL;DR" for you nerds...):

Unless I hit upon unexpected roadblocks, my current plan is:

1. Get a machine meeting the various correct physical requirements that
also supports unlocking the bootloader (so I can kill Windows in favor
of Linux). I suspect we can get this pretty cheap, as long as the
onboard-CDR-in-2019 requirement doesn't prove TOO esoteric (Modern PC
manufacturers *LOVE* artificially limiting their machines to iPad
capabilities for inexplicable reasons...).

2. Get a modest USB3 HDD to handle archival needs and shuffling data
between old-and-new PCs (Because even today, direct LAN data-transfer
across different OSes (or even the same OS in many unfortunate cases,
especially if mobiles are involved) is still a royal PITA).

3. Then I'll dual-boot-install Lubuntu 18.10 (non-LTS), but retain an
optional OEM Windoze partition just-in-case. I'll get what she needs
up-and-running on that, figure out how to set up automatic updates, and
leave it at that until Lubuntu has their first LXQt-based LTS...at which
point I'll update the system to that, re-enable automatic updates, and
laugh maniacally until either A. It becomes clear I've made huge a
mistake somewhere or B. It becomes clear it's time for her NEXT new
computer and I'm forced to prepare ANOTHER round of questionable
compromises for the alleged sake of "progress"...

Speaking of which...I don't suppose anyone knows where I could find for
myself...a laptop with:

- SSD+HDD
- DVD-RW (because peripherals are the *obvious* enemy of portability)
- Hardware killswitches for things like WiFi/bluetooth/webcam(if
any)/mic(if any)/gps(if any) (because why *wouldn't* any reasonable
human want that? But I guess "reasonable" must be the sticking point...)
- A non-glossy matte screen (again...*duh!!!*...Bonus points if it isn't
short-screen)
- Good battery life when GPU is NOT active.
- HDMI-out (duh!)
- An actually *sufficient* number of USB (and USB3)
ports...(again...peripherals are the *obvious* enemy of portability, and
laptop keyboards are *always* crap).
- AND...perchance...to dream...a competitive CPU/GPU that would allow me
to play the few AAA games I actually care about with a Steam controller
rather than DualShock/XBox, and **maybe** even Oculus/Vive? I figure
that would be $$$, granted, and would obviously kill battery whenever
the GPU is active, but...but is it *really* too "lack of completely
unnecessary compromises" to even consider???

If so, even if its $$$, then you would *totally* be my hero (and, yes, I
realize that's such a *HUGE* honor, but please, don't trip over each
other reaching for such a star!!!) ;)