printf() metaprogramming challenge

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat May 25 12:04:12 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 11:27:43 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> L1 instruction cache are small and the cost of code bloat is
> only rarely counted. Benchmarks are overwhelmingly good
> mannered concerning instruction caches.

Yes, in benchmarking one should only test full applications… I
guess invalidating the cache every N iterations is a possibility
in a synthetic benchmark.

> This makes that optimisation for instruction cache are
> neglected.

Right, I'm interested in seeing what Mike Franklin does for
embedded. A minimalistic framework would be interesting to see.

> concrete application. With valgrind cachegrind I discovered
> that the misses in instruction cache made a big, big,
> difference.

Interesting, I really need to try that cachegrind some time.
Sounds very useful.