printf() metaprogramming challenge

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Sat May 25 15:34:07 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 14:40:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> The high impact part is the metaprogramming and introspection
> machinery. This is where D can contribute something innovative
> to the larger programming community.

I'd think you'd be commenting on the "Issue 5710" thread then, as
that very much does affect the metaprogramming capabilities of D.
I do agree that this is an area where D shines and where D can
show off the most compared to its competitors.

> Yet another implementation of formatting primitives is low
> impact.

You're probably right, but the people implementing this in D are
already doing or have done it, so that's a good thing. Also, as
someone who will likely only use the betterC subset of D, having
some better primitives than printf in BetterC is a small boon,
though I'd rather have something more like the new C++ fmt
library than like printf.