[Update] Re: [OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

lagfra me at fragal.eu
Sat May 25 17:33:42 UTC 2019

On 05/25 12:10, Yatheendra via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 07:16:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> > Thanks for the input, all.
> >
> > If you don't already know me by know, I'll warn you: There's a lot of
> > ranty-ness the further this gets. But I *do* have a (tentative) plan...
> >
> > [...]
>
> Have you looked at
>         https://elementary.io/
> You have to pay for it, but it is a pretty good Linux option (for you too,
> if I may guess at from your comments).

You don't have to pay for it, it's sufficient to put 0$ under the "Custom" menu
and you can download it for free. Donations are just encouraged, I guess.

I've used EOS for this exact purpose a while ago (introducing a friend to linux),
but it seemed a bit confusing since its DE relies heavily on "magic" screen angles
and mouse scrolling to move between windows and workspaces. Could be good with a
powerful laptop though, especially if the user in question comes from the OSX
environment.

IMHO the easiest and most complete DE for a beginner is Cinnamon with Linux
Mint, but if your laptop / PC is constrained on resources I strongly advise
setting up Devuan with XFCE:

https://devuan.org/

It is apt-based, lightweight and doesn't use systemd, which makes it a lot
easier to reason about and straightforward if you need to debug some system
errors.