Surfing on wave.. WASM

KnightMare black80 at bk.ru
Mon May 27 13:28:46 UTC 2019

I understand that maybe I looks as troll and raise next holy war,
maybe I still have adolescent maximalism..
But
How much can you say "It is not for such things"?
Dlang not for WEB. Its not for GUI. Its not for mobiles.
Its not for DB-ORM/network/FPGA/AI. (We have wrappers to some
libs, use it boy)
Well, main area is terminal tools only.
With best
UFCS/CTFE/GC/Exceptions/mixins/OOP/FP/InternalAsm/SSEtypes.
(Sounds like "mountain gave birth to a mouse").
And we want to add bare-metal RT to this without GC.
Well, how many developers need bare metal RT from all possible
programming tasks in the world? 0.001%? 0.01%? Maybe 0.1% not
more. Do they have another tools for such thing? C/rust? Probably
has.
What the future of D? Replacement C/C++ in bare metal/terminal
tools? It won't happen. It will be used but will not replace.
Do we hear some excuse "Yes, I know but I like do such job" or
roadmap to heaven/communism/orAnotherSomethingGreat?
What will happened with Dlang after.. hmm.. bus factor with
leads? Does Dlang has another lovely dictators who will continue
to lead the flock to a bright future?
(Will we remain a small sect of lovers of Mars and not Snickers?)

3 men can write collections lib (like STL) that will be enough
for bare metal without using GC in one year. So this is not
future big target.

D can bypass Kotlin/Native, rust, C++, Go, Swift in many fields
when you set goals correctly.

WASM is one of great target. (Yes, I still remember VM/Flash is
bad, VM/Silverlight is bad, pure HTML5/Js are Rulez! Oh, we need
some VM for WEB)
LDC can generate WASM code, give to it RT, port Dlang-RT/GC to
WASM/VM that can be embedded in any app, that can execute logic
in browsers with their WASM/VM.
Yes, is big task and some big corp with big wallet will write GC
for WASM.
Will Dlang be ready run it program in WASM enironment from the
box?

LLVM can generate platform code at runtime. Is it time to move
the DMD to LLVM? Then Dlang can be used for writting VMs.

Can this/new runtime run on mobile devices? This is another great
target: run Dlang on mobiles. ("LDC can generate code for
Android" sounds like "LDC can generate WASM code" - it doesn't
helps to run this code on VM or device, code is useless without
RT or OS integration, its just pure obj file).