DConf Videos, Why?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu May 30 18:18:11 UTC 2019

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:28:01 AM MDT Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 12:49:57 UTC, ixid wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 21:16:35 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> >> Patience, please. The video guy at the conference told me it
> >> would take about two weeks to get them all ready. I expect to
> >> hear from the company any day now.
> >
> > This is too long a timeframe, people who are not already in D
> > will have forgotten about the conference by now so it will fail
> > to increase D's mindshare.
>
> I'll be using the videos in the months to come to promote the
> language on the blog and elsewhere. Publishing them on YouTube a
> few weeks after the conference won't affect that.
>
> I appreciate that people are eager to see them, but if we want to
> have videos that are ready to go within a few days after a DConf
> ends, we're going to need to throw more money at a recording team
> to expedite their processing. I'd rather accept the delay and use
> the money elsewhere.

LOL. I've heard of conferences not getting their videos out until the next
conference rolls around. Some conferences _are_ super fast about it, but
from what I've seen, two or three weeks after a conference is far faster
than most. The ones who manage to get videos out really fast are incredibly
well organized and probably throw a lot of money at it. I can appreciate
people wanting the videos sooner, but it sounds like we're doing quite well
with them this year.

- Jonathan M Davis