DConf Videos, Why?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu May 30 19:09:19 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:54:13PM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:27:52 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
[...]
> > It would be very, very nice if next DConf we hired a dedicated A/V
> > team to ensure that the first-day hiccups never happen again. It's
> > becoming something of a trend to lose the first day talks or
> > otherwise not have them available / clipped / glitched / whatever,
> > and that's not a good thing.
>
> AFAIK, last year is the only year that we've ever lost talks. The
> first few talks were lost last year, because we only had one camera,
> and it ran into problems, because the A/V team assumed that the wifi
> was going to work well enough to rely on recording to the cloud, and
> the wifi was terrible. This year, there were two cameras - one run by
> the folks from the location (which had problems with streaming,
> because it was set up for WebEx), and another one from someone else
> that AFAIK the D Foundation or Symmetry paid specifically to film the
> conference and do the videos. So, it sounds like we basically already
> did what you're suggesting.
[...]

So what happened to the streaming?  Was that only setup for the
on-location camera?  Is that why we didn't get streaming working for the
first few talks?  And I assume the second camera is the one used for the
final videos that will be posted? (Not that it would've made a
difference for me, as I was coincidentally busy those few days and
couldn't have watched the streams anyway.)

Also, IME, A/V (in general, not just for DConf) has a tendency to go
horribly wrong unless actually tested on-site beforehand.  There's
always something unexpected that goes wrong, or otherwise doesn't work
well.  Assumptions are made that turn out to be false, etc., etc.. I
find that the only way to be really sure is to actually test everything
beforehand, e.g., if the A/V crew was onsite an hour beforehand and
tested the full loop -- recording, audio volume, streaming, whatever
else that will be used.

IOW, it's the difference between writing code without unittests vs.
writing code with unittests. :-D

Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we
would behave very differently from those who now hold it---when, in
truth, in order to get power we would have to become very much like
them. -- Unknown