DConf Videos, Why?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri May 31 00:08:50 UTC 2019

Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:27:52 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
>
> > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > It would be very, very nice if next DConf we hired a dedicated A/V
> > > team to ensure that the first-day hiccups never happen again. It's
> > > becoming something of a trend to lose the first day talks or
> > > otherwise not have them available / clipped / glitched / whatever,
> > > and that's not a good thing.
> >
> > AFAIK, last year is the only year that we've ever lost talks. The
> > first few talks were lost last year, because we only had one camera,
> > and it ran into problems, because the A/V team assumed that the wifi
> > was going to work well enough to rely on recording to the cloud, and
> > the wifi was terrible. This year, there were two cameras - one run by
> > the folks from the location (which had problems with streaming,
> > because it was set up for WebEx), and another one from someone else
> > that AFAIK the D Foundation or Symmetry paid specifically to film the
> > conference and do the videos. So, it sounds like we basically already
> > did what you're suggesting.
>
> [...]
>
> So what happened to the streaming?  Was that only setup for the
> on-location camera?  Is that why we didn't get streaming working for the
> first few talks?  And I assume the second camera is the one used for the
> final videos that will be posted? (Not that it would've made a
> difference for me, as I was coincidentally busy those few days and
> couldn't have watched the streams anyway.)

The streaming was only done using the camera run by the folks on-site, and
since they're normally doing business meetings, they were set up for WebEx,
which is where the problems came in. The second camera was just for the
final recordings. It may have been possible to take what the first camera
did to use for recordings to upload later if the second camera failed (I'm
not sure), but the second camera wasn't set up for streaming AFAIK. It
probably would have been better if the two cameras were set up for both
functions, but they were run by completely different people. So, the set up
could certainly be improved upon, but it's already better than what we had
last year.

- Jonathan M Davis