D enters Tiobe top 20

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Nov 4 10:56:29 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 at 09:19:16 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM RazvanN via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good news, everyone!
>>
>> D has entered the Tiobe top 20 ranking of programming
>> languages [1], landing on the 18th position. I have been
>> keeping an eye on this index, and it is for the first time
>> that I see this happening.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> RazvanN
>>
>> [1] https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>>

> AFAIK, it has been there before, but for very short time:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/fdmafvxoawgmsfjmhksr@forum.dlang.org

I think D is going to stay in the top segment now, because of
C++xx. Many people are seeking a new programming language and D
is one refuge. Also that it got into the GNU compiler collection
also helps.

D can copy the success of Python, being expressive and simple.
Hopefully, the D community keep D simple and do not add a lot of
crud like in C++xx. Aesthetic design in programming languages
matters, just as they do with cars.

Speaking of Rust, I think Rust will remain a niche language
because it is a bit too complicated than what benefits it gives.
A programmer who only used Python before is going to choose D
over Rust and that's where the masses are.

Keep up the good work.