D enters Tiobe top 20

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 21:09:47 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 at 09:03:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> Good news, everyone!
>
> D has entered the Tiobe top 20 ranking of programming languages
> [1], landing on the 18th position. I have been keeping an eye
> on this index, and it is for the first time that I see this
> happening.

It favours older languages that are present on many websites.

Tiobe measures the number of hits for the search "d programming"
and "dlang programming". However, for D there are false
positives, so they assume 90% confidence... Although they also
remove "3-D programming" and "Dtrace".

Anyway, this is not a good metric. It is strongly affected by
search engine ranking strategies and online structure. (many
small sites vs one big site, etc).

Ola.