D enters Tiobe top 20

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Tue Nov 5 02:08:28 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 at 09:03:04 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> Good news, everyone!
>
> D has entered the Tiobe top 20 ranking of programming languages
> [1], landing on the 18th position. I have been keeping an eye
> on this index, and it is for the first time that I see this
> happening.
>
> Cheers,
> RazvanN
>
> [1] https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

I've been keeping an eye on the Tiobe index in the last couple of
months and I started to notice that D had a slow but steady
upwards trend. It was in the 22. and 21. place in the last two
months. I'm a bit surprised that it jumped all the way to 18.
place. It's a good thing that this happened because the index has
a lot of visibility. Journalists like to write a lot about it for
some reason.

However, this index is quite noisy and flawed in several ways. So
this high rating for D  might be a fluke and next month D might
be back to 21. place... I'm really hoping that D is starting to
show up in the top 20 more often than not in the coming months.

If you take other indices like the more complex Redmonk index
that takes its data from Stackoverflow and Github and is thus
biased towards open source projects, you get totally different
results. For example, the Redmonk index ranks rust pretty high.
This shows how arbitrary these rankings are in the end.