D enters Tiobe top 20

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 10:23:24 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 at 02:08:28 UTC, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> If you take other indices like the more complex Redmonk index
> that takes its data from Stackoverflow and Github and is thus
> biased towards open source projects, you get totally different
> results. For example, the Redmonk index ranks rust pretty high.
> This shows how arbitrary these rankings are in the end.

Redmonk is flawed as well, of course. A language with worse
documentation, is more difficult to use or appeal more to
beginners (like PhP) will have a stronger presence on
Stackoverflow...

Github is probably the better metric, but counting number of
projects is silly. Some languages have a culture of miniature
repositories. Others have lots of forking.  But yeah, if you did
static analysis on all the source code on Github then that could
measure something reasonable.

Also the counting on Github seems to be approximate. I get ±10%
in repeated searches their web interface, e.g. sometimes 7000
hits, sometimes 8000 hits…

Searches on github:

2k language:nim
8k language:d