D enters Tiobe top 20

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Nov 6 10:31:22 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 at 10:56:29 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> Speaking of Rust, I think Rust will remain a niche language
> because it is a bit too complicated than what benefits it
> gives. A programmer who only used Python before is going to
> choose D over Rust and that's where the masses are.

I'm not going to speculate about Rust's future, but that's
consistent with my story. I used Rust before using D. Rust had
all the hype and D was selling itself as a dialect of C++ in
those days, so the decision to go with Rust was easy. It didn't
take long to realize that Rust was not going to work. It has a
learning curve like Vim. That meant that even ignoring the
hideous syntax, which might be better now, nobody I was working
with (the Python type of programmer) was ever going to write a
line of Rust. It was hard to understand what it brought to the
table for most of the programming world.

After trying Go and not liking that either, I decided to give D a
try during a free moment one evening, expecting to not spend more
than a few minutes on it. What I found was a surprisingly
well-designed language that had little in common with C++ other
than the common ancestor of C. For anyone looking at compiled
languages for speed, D was miles ahead of anything else in terms
of the combination of ease of use and features.