D enters Tiobe top 20

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 7 00:00:28 UTC 2019

On 11/6/2019 1:40 AM, drug wrote:
> On 11/6/19 8:02 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I'm going to speculate that Rust is a bit like pure functional programming.
>> It's a great paradigm, but is inconvenient for that last mile of the code one
>> needs to write. I've struggled with getting that last mile done with other
>> languages (Pascal), and it would consume an inordinate amount of time.
>
> I like your simile. Some developers complain that working with hardware in Rust
> means huge amount of unsafe code. The last mile in Rust can be really difficult.

For comparison, the last mile in C is quite straightforward. That instantly
seduced me.

> For example in Rust it's very hard to implement tree where nodes can point to
> both its parent and children because in trivial case both parent and child node
> are borrow each other that is impossible in Rust.

Speaking as someone who's only Rust experience is reading the manual, there
seems to be a lot of dependence on library code that is implemented in unsafe Rust.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, as I also promote the safe/unsafe code
dichotomy.

D needs to make @safe the default, though.