Async-await on stable Rust!

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Fri Nov 8 13:24:49 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 November 2019 at 10:36:05 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> This is a better article from one of the sites you linked:
> https://vorpus.org/blog/notes-on-structured-concurrency-or-go-statement-considered-harmful/

Yes, that is a good one.

> After reading this, I can confidently say that this is not the
> problem I am trying to solve.

I understand. I just wanted you to be aware of it.

> To me async/await is synchronously executed when a closure is
> ready to execute.

What does 'ready to execute' mean? And why synchronously? isn't
the idea of async to run concurrently?

> However, that doesn't mean it can't work with my existing idea
> ;)
>
> Nursery nursery;
>
> nursery.async {
> };
>
> nursery.async {
> };
>
> return; // nursery.__dtor == run

Except that you would want to run immediately, and then joinAll
on the __dtor. For it is perfectly possible to have a long living
nursery; the one at the root of the program for instance.

E.g

---
with (Nursery()) {
   async {