GC buggy in windows?

tchaloupka chalucha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:54:56 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 November 2019 at 15:30:18 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 09/11/2019 4:21 AM, Dennis wrote:
>> On Friday, 8 November 2019 at 15:01:26 UTC, tchaloupka wrote:
>>> All ended up same within a few secs.
>>
>> I tried it a few times on my Windows 10 laptop with dmd 2.088,
>> it just sat there for minutes using ~14% CPU (note: I have 8
>> logical processors) taking 10 Mb, and nothing appeared in the
>> console. So unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it either.
>
> Yes.
>
> This is looking more and more like an environment issue, not a
> bug on druntime's end.
>
> Potentially AV related (I use Avast) and I'm on Windows 10 Home
> 64bit.

Thanks for feedback, I've tried it on more servers where it
actually worked as you both described.
At the end the difference was Eset antivirus installed.
I had it whole disabled to eliminate exactly this but only after
it's uninstall it started to work.. So some crap was still active
in it.

Well still it's pretty unfortunate if some 3rd side app can brick
the GC runtime. We can't just say to customers "You've got Eset
installed? Screw you it won't work together."

So bug or not a bug?