D enters Tiobe top 20

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 21:44:49 UTC 2019

On Friday, 8 November 2019 at 20:28:32 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> I for one have had many occasions where I had a rogue task or a
> leaking websocket.
>
> With structured concurrency writing that code is easier, but
> more importantly, reviewing is easier as well.

Right, code with multiple futures can look a bit messy as the
management of different futures and the main flow often ends up
being interleaved in the source code.

> You still have futures with a nursery. It is just that you
> can't leave the nursery block without all concurrent tasks
> completing, timing out or being canceled.

So one can easily build something nursery-like on top of a
futures-library that provide a wait_for_all(…) function, or like
OS-X dispatch queues with dispatch_group_wait(…).

I can see how that could be useful sometimes, for sure.