GC buggy in windows?

JN 666total at wp.pl
Sat Nov 9 16:07:25 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 at 03:02:12 UTC, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> It's not OK if the interference consists of injecting random
> bugs into legitimate programs. Antivirus programs have a pretty
> awful track record in this regard. I can't think of an
> antivirus product that I used that didn't turn out to be
> defective in one way or another.

I consider most of the AV software snake oil. They slow down your
OS too.

The only AV software I trust is Windows Defender. For simple
reason. It's in AV vendors best interest for your PC to be
infected, because it sells their software and other "malware
removal" "PC optimization" crapware. In case of Microsoft, it's
in their best interest not to have any viruses at all because it
reflects on them badly as a platform. Also, it's in their best
interest to minimize any slowdowns and inconveniences AV brings.

Also, these are different times. In the pre-internet times virus
infections were prevalent, carried over with USB drives or in
drive-by Java applet/Flash attacks. Modern web environment is
sandboxed well enough that it protects you from most attacks.