D and i/o

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Sun Nov 10 20:58:51 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 at 20:33:35 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 November 2019 at 19:41:52 UTC, Jon Degenhardt
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 9 November 2019 at 23:39:09 UTC, bioinfornatics
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> You might also be interested in a similar I/O performance test
>> I created: https://github.com/jondegenhardt/dcat-perf. This
>> one is based on 'cat' (copy to standard output) rather than
>> 'wc', as I'm interested in both input and output, but the
>> general motivation is similar. I specifically wanted to
>> compare native phobos facilities to those in iopipe and some
>> phobos covers in tsv-utils. Most tests are by-line based, as
>> I'm interested in record oriented operations, but chunk-based
>> copying is included.
>>
>> [...]
>
> For "cat" I believe there is a system call to tell the kernel
> to forward data from one file descriptor to the other, meaning
> you could implement cat without ever mapping the data into
> user-space at all. I'm sure this would be the fastest mechanism
> to implement cat, and I've seen this system call used by a
> version of cat somewhere out there.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. But perhaps I should describe the
motivation in more detail. I'm not actually interested in 'cat'
per se, it is just a stand-in for the more general processing I'm
typically interested in. In every case I'm operating on the
records in some form (lines or something else), making a
transformation, and depending on application, writing something
out. This is the case in tsv-utils as well as many scenarios of
the systems I work on (search engines). These applications
sometimes operate on data streams, sometimes on complete files.
Hence my interest in line-oriented I/O performance.

Obviously there is a lot more ground in the general set of
applications I'm interested in than is covered in the simple
performance tests in dcat-perf, but it's a starting point. It's
also why I didn't make comparisons to existing versions of 'cat'.