DIP 1025--Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow--Community Review Round 1

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Mon Nov 11 23:17:56 UTC 2019

On Monday, 11 November 2019 at 22:40:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Monday, November 11, 2019 2:41:14 PM MST Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Memory safety cannot be achieved without control over who is
>> the owner of memory.
>
> And how does this DIP help with that? Dynamic arrays do not
> know or care where their memory came from, and they do not
> track lifetimes in any way, shape, or form. Doing anything that
> might append to them then guarantees that they're allocated by
> the GC, because that's the only way that they can grow. Without
> doing one of those operations, you would have to actually look
> at the ptr value of the dynamic array and ask the GC whether
> it's owned by the GC. Getting rid of the append operations does
> not change that. It's still impossible to know who owns the
> memory by simply looking at the type, and code that passes
> slices of non-GC allocated memory around has to be aware of the
> lifetime of those dynamic arrays and what's done with them to
> know whether any dynamic arrays referring to that memory still
> exist. The type system doesn't help with that beyond stuff like
> scope and pure limiting what can be done with the dynamic array
> that gets passed in. And getting rid of the append operations
> doesn't change that.
>
> Sure, right now, if you pass a dynamic array which is a slice
> of malloc-ed memory to a function, that function could append
> to that dynamic array and result in a reallocation. Why is that
> a problem? It's not like that's going to cause a memory leak
> unless it was your only pointer to that memory, and if that's
> the case, having the dynamic array shrink on you would be just
> as big a problem, if not bigger. Either way, you have to know
> what the code is doing with the dynamic array if you're going
> to try to determine when it's safe to free that memory, because
> dynamic arrays can normally be passed around and copied with
> impunity, and they're not reference-counted. Their very nature
> pretty requires that if you're going to have a dynamic array
> which slices non-GC-allocated memory, you have to carefully
> control what you do with it, because nothing about the dynamic
> array manages the lifetime of the memory it points to. That's
> the case whether appending is allowed or not.
>
> If for some reason, it is actually a problem for a piece of
> code if a dynamic array ever gets appended to, then requiring
> that the code be @nogc fixes that. It's then not possible to
> pass the dynamic array to any functions which might append to
> it.
>
> Really, code that's using dynamic arrays which are slices of
> anything other than GC-allocated memory has to be very limited
> in how it passes them around regardless of whether appending is
> possible, because dynamic arrays don't manage their own memory
> at all. Code that wants to do much passing around of malloc-ed
> memory to anything other than a pure function where it's clear
> that the slices can't be squirreled away in any of the
> [...]

I mean there were warning signs in DIP 1021. But you know what,
this DIP 1025 is starting to grow on me. I like it. The DIP is
absolutely perfect, nothing needs to change about it! I trust
Walter completely, after all "he has a pretty darn good one
[track record]".