DIP 1025--Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow--Community Review Round 1

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 00:11:23 UTC 2019

On Monday, 11 November 2019 at 18:13:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Maybe a type that will share the binary interface of C++ span
> and string_view. They are supposed to be the ones to use in
> function C++ function signatures to increase interoperability
> between libraries etc.
>
> Right now it is a bit difficult to say how span<> will be
> adopted in C++ libraries, but I would imagine that it might end
> up being used for matrices as well "span<span<T>>". So binary
> compatibility could make sense.

(A bit OT)

We tried to convince Walter to make extern(C++) void f(int[])
Just Work™, to no avail, because he though that it would b
"unintuitive" for people to have include a header to have to use
it. Go figure.

I doubt that span<span<T>> will be widely used, because jagged
matrices are a bit of an odd choice of structure,
span<string_view> might get a bit of use though.