DIP 1025--Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow--Community Review Round 1

Tim tim.dlang at t-online.de
Tue Nov 12 10:50:27 UTC 2019

On Monday, 11 November 2019 at 10:27:26 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1025, "Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/1b525ec4c914c06bc286c1a6dc93bf1533ee56e4/DIPs/DIP1025.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should
> occur in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET
> on November 25, or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary,
> the DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community
> Review. Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and
> Formal Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

If you create a slice from manually managed memory, you probably
also have to make sure the slice does not outlive the memory.
This means the slice has to be passed as scope to functions (or
some pure functions). The DIP should only apply to scope slices,
because other slices are probably allocated on the GC.