DIP 1025--Dynamic Arrays Only Shrink, Never Grow--Community Review Round 1

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:08:08 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 11:46:30 UTC, Robert Schadek
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at 10:37:44 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
> wrote:
>> Thats what containers are for, to encapsulate the inherent
>> unsafety and expose a safe interface.
> Okay, from where I'm standing that sounds like the problem is
> with malloc/slicing
> malloced memory, and not so much the GC.
> On the other hand, the more functional my D becomes, the less I
> feel the need
> for containers at all.

Perhaps containers is the wrong word. I meant in in the sense
data structures intersection wrapping, e.g. DList!int or
Atomic!int. Both of those are inherently unsafe (blobs of
pointers and shared memory respectively) but the container
provides a safe way to interact with the data encapsulated by it
by disallowing outside access in an unchecked manner.