Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

dan dan.hitt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 16:35:41 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 19:51:58 UTC, Clipsey wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at
>> [1] and they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help
>> them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> Oh hey, I didn't expect this to be shared here, haha.
> Yeah we're considering D, though i'm the main advocate for it.
> So sadly there's p big chances that Rust will be chosen over D.

Hi Clipsey,

A big part of gimp is the plugins, may of which are packaged with
it.

So i wonder if there are any plugins for gimp written in D: it
would
seem to be possible in principle at least.

In fact, i was searching for such a thing when i found this
thread.

I did not find any plugins written in D for gimp on github, but
maybe my
github skills are too poor.

So i wonder if the glimpse people have tried writing plugins in
some
of the languages they are considering, just as a way of assessing
how
comfortable they are in these different candidate languages.

(And, if you do know of any gimp plugins written in D, please lmk
and tia.)

dan