Language performance benchmark be updated 2019/11/09

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Sun Nov 17 14:56:31 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 17 November 2019 at 11:04:55 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Daniel Kozak
> <kozzi11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Nim is the winner.
>> >
>> > But here I would look into the code: what makes LDC produce
>> > such poorly optimized binary.
>> >

>> LDC binary is ok, this is about GC, I was able to make it
>> lamost as twice fast for ldc with some improvements
>
> original code
> Golang: 22.74s, 364.1Mb
> D LDC2: 29.55s, 463.9Mb
> D DMD:  29.42s, 462.5Mb
> D GDC:  25.28s, 415.3Mb
> Nim:       14.26s, 468,9Mb
>
> with small changes:
> Golang: 22.74s, 364.1Mb
> D LDC2: 15.90s, 389.8Mb
> D DMD:  16.86s, 387.3Mb
> D GDC:  19.48s, 403.8Mb
> Nim:       14.26s, 468,9Mb

With full LTO, I'm seeing an additional 5% boost on Windows
(-flto=full -defaultlib=phobos2-ldc-lto,druntime-ldc-lto). As
they are using gcc LTO for the brainfuck2 benchmark too
(https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks/blob/2777925c4e64987e83e9a53478910de080408057/brainfuck2/build.sh#L5), I wouldn't consider it to be cheating.