Installation failures and https

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 08:29:23 UTC 2019

On Monday, 18 November 2019 at 16:30:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Gr wrote:
> On Monday, 18 November 2019 at 15:45:31 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> This has already been reported [1]. It doesn’t apply to all
>> ways of downloading. It applies if the executable was
>> downloaded using a web browser but not curl. It basically
>> applies to executables with the quarantine bit set.
>> Downloading using a browser will set that bit. It can also be
>> manually removed with the `xattr` command.
>
> Hm. I thought I downloaded that tar file with curl... but maybe
> I didn't.

Yep, you are right. I downloaded the tar-archive with the
browser. Interesting that they track files unpacked from the
archive.

I personally dislike long installation scripts. It is kinda
clever to support all compilers with one script, but it takes
time to go over it to ensure that it does not mess up the file
system...  I rarely download scripts and execute them without
looking at them first.