Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Pavel Shkadzko p.shkadzko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:44:30 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 09:12:02 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 08:51:49 UTC, Pavel Shkadzko
> wrote:
>> meetups on D. But why are so few C++ devs actually do it
>> remains a mystery to me. I would really like to stay away from
>> the general discussion on why D is not as popular as other
>> languages :) rather I'd ask around for C++ programmers who
>> have tried D and share some positive experience they had so
>> that I could spread the word.
>
> How did you come by this conclusion? - D community is full of
> C++ and ex-C++ programmers! I am a former full-time C++
> developer who gained interest in D almost exactly 20 years ago.
> I use D whenever I need "native" executables on Linux.

The conclusion is based solely on my own observations as a
language newbie. But what triggered me is that one of the PyTorch
core C++ developers didn't even consider D although the language
clearly fits nicely in the machine learning domain and has been
proven to be used exactly for that (see Vectorflow,
https://github.com/Netflix/vectorflow).

Let me just stress my concern that having a deep learning library
for D these days would give it a huge boost in popularity as it
once did for Lua, alas.