Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 10:45:31 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-11-19 at 08:51 +0000, Pavel Shkadzko via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> work). I don't know C++. We do however have C++ engineers so I
> asked them around. I was quite surprised that none of them knew
> or even tried to use D. They of course heard about the language
> but that's it.

Most C++ programmers work on C++ codebases and so are tied to improvements in
C++ for any and all improvements in life.

That C++ has entered a 3 year standards cycle has solved many of the problems
C++ had in terms of evolution, and so the idea of rewriting a C++ codebase to
another language has gone out of the window – it was probably unlikely in most
cases anyway for other reasons.

It is also worthy of note that the C++ community is far, far bigger than the D
community. The social aspects of things have a big influence.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200