Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Newbie2019 newbie2019 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 13:01:30 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 11:09:25 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> The reasons are:
> * C++ is the to go to language for systems programming
> * Any project will choose C++ over D because
>     * C++ proven, less bugs
>     * There are plenty of C++ engineers out there
> * Many tools, platforms and libraries are done in C/C++ making
> C++ the obvious choice.
>
> D isn't more popular because there haven't been much need for
> switching and that projects mostly bet on safe choices.
>
> For bare metal C++ is still the obvious choice but for
> applications I think C++ cannot compete anymore.

The question can be why C++ programmers like RUST but not D.

RUST achievement:

a) browser engine (firefox,  webrender)
b) Virtualization (firecracker, rust-virtual-machine,
cloud-hypervisor, railcar , vagga  )
c) database, storage engine (tikv , PumpkinDB, sled, indradb,
noria, ParityDB)
d) Emulators / Games / Graphics / Text editors (a lot projects on
github with active users)
e) System tools (there is really a lot on github)
f) Web developer, WASM projects
g) betters IDEs support
h) BlockChain (Facebook Libra, and a lot other products worth
millions or billions)
i) Android and IOS. (D has Android, but not IOS)

D has similar projects for web/wasm/GUI, but with less projects
activity and users.

I suggest D should add a grave yard page with dead projects on
this site.