Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 17:58:14 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 17:23:46 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> There's a bit of a sample selection issue. Anyone open to GC
> moved to Java long ago. These days anyone still using C++
> either has a good reason to fear the GC (certain real-time
> applications) or an irrational fear of the GC.

It is not a question of fearing GC, but global collection is a
rather blunt tool (compared to a scan-limited single-threaded
collector, data-structure-local-collector or good ol'
refcounting). Also, GC use twice as much memory or more, than
carefully planned memory management.

> The D of today would have had great success at recruiting C++
> programmers 20 years ago, but by about 2005 or so, Java had
> already sucked up all the potential converts.

I doubt Java had much effect on C++ programmers that gave D a
shot, some C++ to D converts was absorbed back to C++ from D by
C++11/C++14,  and Go and Rust absorbed some others...

Anyway, these days the picture is much more complex. Like how
Kotlin is also aiming for the native compilation game with a LLVM
backend... so with Kotlin being the default language on Android
and Swift trying to become a thing on servers... well, that could
skew things quite a bit for C++ programmers looking for managed
languages.