Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Wed Nov 20 01:34:49 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 17:23:46 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 November 2019 at 10:57:20 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2019-11-19 at 09:28 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>>> Unfortunately, D is not a better C++. Most notably, it has a
>>> GC, and much of the functionality of the standard library has
>>> historically required using the GC. Second, it doesn't work
>>> with legacy C++ code. That's changing, but it's a big issue.
>> […]
>>
>> That many C++ developers have an obsessive fear of the words
>> garbage collector is clearly an issue, independent of whether
>> GC is actually an issue for their codebases.
>
> There's a bit of a sample selection issue. Anyone open to GC
> moved to Java long ago. These days anyone still using C++
> either has a good reason to fear the GC (certain real-time
> applications) or an irrational fear of the GC. The D of today
> would have had great success at recruiting C++ programmers 20
> years ago, but by about 2005 or so, Java had already sucked up
> all the potential converts.

Look at the pace at which the pool of programmers is growing.
I'm not sure that some of the programmers I work with were even
programming at all in 2005.  Myself, I wouldn't have picked up
programming again if it had to be Java or C++ because life is too
short.

I think it's a real mistake to conceive of life as being a
zero-sum game.  In general, but particularly when the pool is
growing.

Economic decisions are taken at the margin and the potential
substitutes are not what one might think.  It might even be do a
project in D or don't do it at all.

The contender can keep growing for a long time picking up new
adoption from all kinds of different places.

Also in my experience if people keep insisting something is
doomed and it just keeps growing it might be a bad idea to be too
confident about that. From the very earliest days on Usenet
people were naysaying the prospects of D.  Oh well.

The bigger challenges will come with continued adoption because
that will change the nature of the people in the community which
may require some adjustments.