Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 08:21:50 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 07:52:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> some financial backing from game studios/Google. FlatUI is
> backed by Google.

Having done a bit more research it appears that being supported
by Google isn't enough. FPLbase which FlatUI is using for
rendering does not seem to receive much love. But I found this
fork:

https://github.com/LukasBanana/LLGL

Which might be a low level alternative worth evaluating if Skia
is considered to be too high level.

So there are interesting things going on, and it is moving
relatively fast. I think it would be a grave mistake to not build
on what is done with C/C++ at the lower level layers because
maintenance is just too expensive when you don't have a really
large pool of applications building on it.

However, even with LLGL behind you, look at all the code you need
to just display one gradient-shaded triangle on screen:

https://github.com/LukasBanana/LLGL/tree/master/examples/Cpp/HelloTriangle

Clearly... you want to stand on the shoulders of others to get a
portable graphics layer rather than rolling all on your own.