Installation failures and https

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 09:07:29 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 08:57:43 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> How do you deal with installers that are not scripts that you
> can not look at what they do? This includes package mangers.

They are a PITA and I use package mangers as little as possible
(I'd rather grab from github where it makes sense).

I essentially split my coding platform in two:

1. Production use, here I only use the ones I really can't do
without, e.g. macports, Google's stuff, and some npm (which
unfortunately is needed to set up Angular, but I don't like that
I have to trust it) and some pip (which I also am a bit weary
about).

2. Fun stuff, I create a separate user account for this, but
still try to read install scripts from smaller communities
(larger communities have more eyeballs).

If I don't trust the install-script, or it breaks, then I look at
what the script does and do it manually (like I did for building
LDC the other day). Fortunately the D install script was
well-structured (albeit a bit long).