Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Nov 20 13:28:40 UTC 2019

On 21/11/2019 2:14 AM, Dukc wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 04:29:18 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> For reference: https://github.com/DlangGraphicsWG
>> We wanted to get something actually working before making an
>> announcement (we rely quite heavily on Manu for image library/render
>> pipeline parts and he has been busy most of this year).
>
> Did you consider taking your color type (excellent work by the way) and
> making a mir.ndslice out of it? You would basically have an efiicient
> bitmap type with bells and whistles with no effort required on your part.

Most of the work on the image library has been done by Manu.

The rest of us, did help come up with the requirements.

https://github.com/DlangGraphicsWG/documents/blob/master/image.md
https://github.com/DlangGraphicsWG/documents/blob/master/rgb-format.md

No, we did not consider supporting libraries likes ndslice as a
dependency of the 'core' image library.
The goal was to make ImageBuffer work with graphic API's like OpenGL
directly and to make it be able to be used as wide spread as possible.

https://github.com/DlangGraphicsWG/image/blob/master/src/wg/image/imagebuffer.d#L17

Mutation on the CPU is a much more rare thing in practice for game
development + GUI's so it isn't a requirement.