Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 20:32:27 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 14:02:22 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Memory safety is not a deal breaker but nice to have for
> example GC helps speeding up development as you get one less
> issue to think about but leaking programs are easy to debug.

Automatic memory management makes the initial design phase
easier, restructuring carefully designed manual memory management
code at the early stage can be costly/annoying. True.

> Bounds checking is the most important safety feature as these
> bugs can manifest themselves so differently and can be hard to
> find.

Right, I think there are some tools to do it for C/C++ as well,
but it isn't the default. Well, it is the default if you use the
array.at(index) member, but I guess people tend to forget that it
exists. It probably should be the default in basic debug builds.