Prototype of Ownership/Borrowing System for D

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Fri Nov 22 09:10:43 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-20 08:19:46 +0000, Walter Bright said:

> On 11/19/2019 11:49 PM, Manu wrote:
>> I haven't read thoroughly yet, although I have been following along
>> the way and understand the goals... but I really can't not say
>> straight up that I think `@live` is very upsetting to me.
>> I hate to bike-shed, but at face value `@live` is a very unintuitive
>> name. It offers me no intuition what to expect, and I have at no point
>> along this process has any idea what it means or why you chose that
>> word, and I think that's an immediate ref flag.

+1

> The "live" refers to the data flow analysis which discovers which
> pointers are "live" or "dead" at any point in the flow graph. This is
> critical for what O/B is trying to do.

So, the name is related to how it's done, not what it gives to the
user. That's like selling a thing and stating: "Look this was milled,
turned etc." but not telling the customer what it does.

> `@ownerBorrow` just seems a little awkward :-)

Well, why not make it catchy: @borrow

I'm sure 99.99% of all people would get a hint what this is about.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com