Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Nov 22 13:39:37 UTC 2019

On Friday, 22 November 2019 at 08:26:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 01:34 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> Look at the pace at which the pool of programmers is growing.
>> I'm not sure that some of the programmers I work with were
>> even programming at all in 2005.  Myself, I wouldn't have
>> picked up programming again if it had to be Java or C++
>> because life is too short.
>>
> […]
>
> Also all of the hypothesis around about decline in use of C++,
> are missing a crucial factor. In 1995/1996 universities
> stoppped teaching students languages such as C++ and taught
> only Java. So come the millennia, all new programmers entering
> the job market knew Java and little else.

Some universities.

Mine was quite strong in C++, and still teaches it to this day.

The only lectures that switched to Java in 1996/97 were compiler
design and distributed systems, with artificial intelligent
allowing it as alternative in addition to the Prolog/C++/Lisp
trio for assignment work.

It is always a question of university quality level.

--
Paulo