Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Jab jab_293 at gmall.com
Sun Nov 24 15:30:10 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 24 November 2019 at 13:01:13 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 November 2019 at 09:09:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 November 2019 at 14:31:46 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
>> wrote:
>>> With C++ you are also stuck in forever learning mode. Maybe
>>> learning the new move constructor stuff is going to make life
>>> easier? C++ is updated way faster than practionners can
>>> handle, strangely enough D has more respect for your time.
>>
>> Actually, that is a myth. There have been very few language
>> changes in C++, and they are basically non-breaking. Most of
>> the changes have been on a library level or as syntactical
>> sugar.
>
> That doesn't match my experience _at all_. Have you worked in
> C++ in a professional capacity?

There's a big update every 6 years, with a minor update every 6
years, but an update every 3 years.

> Last time I touched C++ (2015) people were _in some companies_
> starting to use C++11 (30% of it), because the compilers are
> necessarily lagging behind the C++ comittee.

I think a big part of that was because of MSVC. They weren't
C++11 compliant for a long time. Now you do have clang on Windows
and I think even chrome/firefox use it as their compiler of
choice on Windows instead of Microsoft's compiler. Back then
there wasn't really any other C++ compiler on Windows worth
using. Both clang/MSVC are kept up to date pretty quickly now.