Dub and '1.2.3' type version tags

mipri mipri at minimaltype.com
Tue Nov 26 02:58:52 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 02:13:42 UTC, Jesse Phillips
wrote:
> On Monday, 25 November 2019 at 09:11:06 UTC, FeepingCreature
> wrote:
>> Semver 2.0.0 ( https://semver.org/ ) no longer requires the
>> leading 'v' in version tags. What's the opinion of the
>> community on whether dub should be changed to follow suit, ie.
>> not require 'v' as well? (It's a trivial change code-wise.)
>
> It should either require it or not. As it has been required
> historically it should remain required.
>
> Making it optional creates complications for tooling.
> Consistency in our ecosystem will be most important.

dub says it uses SemVer, though, and SemVer changed. So we
don't have a choice of whether to be consistent or
inconsistent, but about what to be inconsistent with: the new
or the old. Over time, and especially since dub.pm points to
semver.org to justify the version requirements it has, the
inconsistency with the new will cause more problems.

And, "no longer requires" is putting it gently. semver.org
actually says:

Q: Is “v1.2.3” a semantic version?
A: No, “v1.2.3” is not a semantic version.

Now, compare this with the 1.0.0 doc, which

.
.
.

erm.

It doesn't mention 'v' at all. It just talks about 1.2.3
versions. The only 'v' is in the URL. Also the URL for the
*new* version of semver is

https://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html
                         ^

                         eh?

Also, after the Q&A that I quoted before, it says:

> However, prefixing a semantic version with a “v” is a common
> way (in English) to indicate it is a version number.
> Abbreviating “version” as “v” is often seen with version
> control. Example: git tag v1.2.3 -m "Release version 1.2.3", in
> which case “v1.2.3” is a tag name and the semantic version is
> “1.2.3”.

What's the problem again?