Dub and '1.2.3' type version tags

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+d at outerproduct.org
Tue Nov 26 08:42:49 UTC 2019

Am 25.11.2019 um 10:11 schrieb FeepingCreature:
> Semver 2.0.0 ( https://semver.org/ ) no longer requires the leading 'v'
> in version tags. What's the opinion of the community on whether dub
> should be changed to follow suit, ie. not require 'v' as well? (It's a
> trivial change code-wise.)

I don't think SemVer ever required a "v" prefix. The reason it is
required by dub is on one hand that it is common practice and on the
other hand it leaves the possibility to have version branches that can
be clearly distinguished from tags.

Any number of other schemes could do the same thing, but I don't think
it's a good idea to introduce inconsistency into the system without a
very good reason. It may not be as bad as the awful JSON/SDLang split
that happened previously due to wanting to cater all tastes, but it goes
into the same direction.