Some thoughts

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:41:52 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 09:11:33 UTC, S.G wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 05:05:09 UTC, Jab wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 November 2019 at 16:53:43 UTC, berni44 wrote:
>>> a) Remove bugs
>>

>> I feel this gets brought up a bit, how pull requests sit idle
>> for years along with bug reports. People working on D work on
>> whatever they want, fixing bugs and handling pull requests are
>> just chores that no one wants to do.
>
> Fixing D bugs is a one way process so I don't even recommend
> doing this seriously, e.g on a daily basis, several hours per
> days. This will inexorably leads to frustration. Fix bugs if at
> work your company needs some particular fixes, fix bugs if you
> need some fixes for your own side-projects, fix bugs if this is
> required for your studies. But don't fix bugs just for the love
> of the D programming language.

I have fixed 150+ bugs and closed another 200+ (invalid or fixed)
in the compiler and I can say that this is a great way to
understand the innards of the software. Since documentation is
scarce, fixing bugs is a fun way to understand (and document)
what happens in either dmd, druntime or phobos and I encourage
anyone who is interested in having an in depth understanding of
the D compiler to pursue this endeavor.

Although the list of unresolved bugs is large I'm sure that
aproximately 40% of them have been fixed in the meantime or are
invalid, 40% are easy to fix, thus leaving only 20% that are more
difficult to fix. This estimations are based on the distribution
of bugs that I have encountered so far.