Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 17:08:08 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 at 16:34:33 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 28/11/2019 5:06 AM, Gregor Mückl wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 12:15:57 UTC, rikki cattermole
>> wrote:
>>> - UI automation (if you don't have this you can literally be
>>> sued and that ignores the customers you will loose and bad
>>> press in general)
>>
>> Let's not resort to hyperbole here, please. I only know of
>> lawsuits against websites lacking accessibility features. Has
>> any such lawsuit ever been filed for a desktop application?
>> The real risk of a lawsuit is low.
>
> It covers mobile applications as well. Different API, same
> scope, same code pretty much.

Sorry, I don't follow.

>> Having said that, there's applications that definitely should
>> be accessible. There's others where a certain kind of
>> accessibility support is just not possible. Screen readers and
>> Photoshop obviously make little sense in combination, for
>> example. And accessibility is different from automation.
>> There's different APIs for that on different platforms.
>>
>> So, in general, I'm still not seeing a proper justification
>> for not building on top of the work that already exists in
>> dlangUI.
>
> UI automation API's is how accessibility programs like screen
> readers work.
>
> "Microsoft UI Automation is an accessibility framework that
> enables Windows applications to provide and consume
> programmatic information about user interfaces (UIs). It
> provides programmatic access to most UI elements on the
> desktop. It enables assistive technology products, such as
> screen readers, to provide information about the UI to end
> users and to manipulate the UI by means other than standard
> input. UI Automation also allows automated test scripts to
> interact with the UI." -
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/entry-uiauto-win32

No, this is only how Microsoft chose to name their accessibility
interface. Google and Apple use accessibility as the relevant
term, including in their actual API naming. The same goes for Gtk
and Qt, which are the most common implementations of
accessibility features on top of X11 (sadly, the X protocol
doesn't have any notion of accessibility itself). Please don't
use the single outlier's unique terms.