Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

mipri mipri at minimaltype.com
Tue Oct 1 06:29:30 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 05:35:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> As I already said, it takes you just a few very simple lines of
> code to implement this script runner in Go, because you can
> clearly see that the language itself was designed especially
> for that : manage efficiently HTTP and database connections.

I don't disbelieve you, but I also really don't want to learn Go
just
so that I can understand what D is missing. Do any of these
threads
ever result in arewexyet type webpages, or even wiki lists of
features
that D would need to be as good at some role as some other
technology?

Say, a category of "D Gaps", and pages of the pattern, "I looked
at
using D for <purpose>, and I missed these conveniences: [list]".

Some purposes:

1. data science
2. bioinformatics
3. machine learning
4. scripting Microsoft applications through COM
5. writing CGI scripts
6. writing an Apache module
7. rewriting Python and Perl sysadmin scripts
8. mobile app development
9. desktop app development
10. quick CLI tools that fetch some webpages

I've done a lot of these but for bioinformatics f.e. my list
of features ends at:

* they use 'FASTA files'
* they want fast regular expressions
* some preferences stemming from them not being 'real
programmers' --
not pejoratively, but look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxtaccqyWA occasional remarks
about scientists using Python.

I bet that a lot of people would deny that #4 or #5 are even valid
things to want to do in the current millennium.

> I think the language should strive to remain as SIMPLE as
> possible, and first be enhanced to provide what most STANDARD
> developers need

Are you sure that 'STANDARD developers' even exist? This might be
unfair but I see a lot of solipsism in complaints like this. To
put it
a kinder way, I think you are underestimating how valuable your
own
experience is in your own industry.